I love gathering artifacts. It’s a better way to spend your free time then just idling in Meridian or Sanctum in my opinion.
The thing that I love the most is that Trion keeps feeding us new artifacts sets with every occasion. First we had the normal artifact sets, the the Twsited artifact sets, then the Fishing ones. We even have a few sets that are rare and hard to get, like the Notes about the Leadership of Infernal Dawn set and the low level Instant Adventures ones.
When Patch 1.8 was deployed, we got another 42 artifact sets which can be gathered by fishing and later one we got one more set added to those initial 42 sets, the Undead Fish set which also reward the Recipe: Feast of Cooperation.
The first category of fishing artifact sets are the trophy ones. There are a total of 24 trophy sets. Some of them count for the A Collections of Trophies achievement, some of them reward pets and some of them are just there to keep you busy.
Out of the 24 trophy sets 12 of them are included in the A Collection of Trophies achievement. These 12 artifact sets are:
- Freemarch Fishing Trophies. Despite the name of the set, it can be fished in both Freemarch and Silverwood. It contains 2 common artifacts, 1 uncommon artifact and 1 rare artifact. The common artifacts can be obtained from both zones, while the rare and uncommon artifact can only be fished from Freemarch area.
- Silverwood Fishing Trophies. This set it also made out of 2 white artifacts, 1 green artifact and 1 blue artifact. As is the case with the Freemarch set, the white artifacts can be obtained from fishing in Silverwood or Freemarch, while the green and blue artifacts can only be caught in Silverwood.
- Stonefield Fishing Trophies. This artifact set contains 4 artifacts: 2 common ones, 1 rare one and 1 uncommon one. Since Stonefield is on the same tier as Gloamwood, these 2 areas share some of the fish, therefor the common trophy fish artifacts can be caught from both areas. But the uncommon and the rare trophy fish will have to come from Stonefield.
- Gloamwood Fishing Trophies. The last artifact set in this category which only contains 4 artifacts is the Gloamwood one. It’s also made out of 2 common, 1 uncommon and 1 rare artifact.
- Scarwood Reach Fishing Trophies. The Scarwood set has 6 artifacts in it, 2 common, 2 uncommon and 2 rare. Although the common ones can be caught from Scarlet Gorge also, the other 4 are specific to Scarwood Reach and harder to get.
- Scarlet Gorge Fishing Trophies. For this artifact set you will need another 6 artifacts, out of which 2 are green and 2 are blue quality artifacts.
- Moonshade Highlands Fishing Trophies. Moving on to the next tier of zones, we come across Moonshade Highlands. For this trophy set you will need 2 blue artifacts, 2 green ones and 2 white ones. As you move to high level zones, catching the rare artifacts will take longer and longer, so prepare for some long fishing sessions.
- Droughtlands Fishing Trophies. Same amount of artifacts are needed for this set as they were of the Moonshade one. Even though Moonshade and Droughtlands are one the same tier when it comes to fishing, completing this particular set will take longer then completing the Moonshade one. Some of the artifacts needed for the Droughlands Fishing Trophies set are very rare.
- Iron Pine Peak Fishing Trophies. This area has it’s own tier when it comes to fishing, but it shares some of the common fish trophies with Moonshade and Droughtlands. For the Iron Pine Peak set, the rare quality artifacts will take some time to catch.
- Shimmersand Fishing Trophies. 6 artifacts are needed for this set, 2 of each quality. Again, we are one step higher on the fishing requirements scale so the drop rate of artifacts will be lower then in the previous areas. Fishing the rare trophies might prove a challenge.
- Stillmoor Fishing Trophies. The second to last artifact set needed for A Collection of Trophies is the Stillmoor trophy set. Made out of 2 common, 2 uncommon and 2 rare artifacts, this set can take time to complete.
- Ember Isle Fishing Trophies. Although Ember Isle requires the highest fishing skill, I found it that the artifacts needed for the trophy set are quite easy to get. Also they are always available on the Auction House just in case you are in a hurry to complete the set. Because the most useful fish are caught from this area, people tend to fish a lot more in Ember Isle then in any other area.
Rare Trophy Sets
Except the 12 sets corresponding to each zone of Telara there are some other artifact sets that use the same trophy fish but don’t count for any achievement. There are 7 sets that are made of the rare and uncommon trophy fish and they all reward pets. So if you are a pet collector, here are the sets you might want to complete.
- Rare Fish of Silverwood and Freemarch. This set is made out of the 2 uncommon and 2 rare trophy fish that are specific to Silverwood and Freemarch. If you complete this set you will get a cute Green Frog as a pet.
- Rare Fish of Stonefield and Gloamwood. The set contains 4 artifacts, 2 rare and 2 uncommon ones and upon completion you will receive a Leopard Frog to be your loyal pet.
- Rare Fish of Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach. As you move on to a the higher level zones the artifact sets become more complex. For this set you will need 4 uncommon and 4 rare fish. The reward for turning in this artifact set is a Red Dart Frog pet.
- Rare Fish of Moonshade Highlands, Droughtlands, and Iron Pine Peak. For this set you will need 12 artifacts in total. 6 rare ones and 6 uncommon ones. The reward for this set is a Blue Dart Frog pet, but this set contains some of the hard to get artifacts. It will take some time to get it complete.
- Rare Fish of Shimmersand, Stillmoor, and Ember Isle. Again a big set, 12 artifacts needed to complete this set. Although they are not as rare as the ones needed for the previous set, it will still take some time to complete. The only advantage is that the trophy fish needed for this artifact set come from high level zones, so they are more likely to be found on the Auction House.
- Marvelous Sea Creature Trophies. This artifact set is a mix of 1 common artifact, 4 uncommon artifacts and 4 rare ones, all from different areas of Telara. The reward for turning in this artifact set is a Tame Powdernose Crab pet.
- Crustacean Trophies. Another artifact set that is made out of artifacts from all over the areas of Telara. It contains 1 common artifact, 4 uncommon ones and 4 rare ones. The reward for completing the set is a Tame Burrowing Crab pet.
Common Trophy Sets
The remaining 5 trophy sets are made out of the common fish found in each area. These sets offer no special rewards, they are just there to keep you busy. But if you are aiming to complete the previous mentioned artifact sets and you are doing it without using the Auction House to much, by the time you catch all the rare trophies you need, you will catch more then enough common trophies to fill all the artifact sets that require them.
Anyway, here are the common trophy sets:
- Common Fish of Silverwood and Freemarch. This artifact set is made out of the the 4 common trophy fish that can be caught in the deep and shallow waters of Silverwood and Freemarch.
- Common Fish of Stonefield and Gloamwood. This set also contains 4 common artifacts. To be more exact, these artifacts are the white trophy fish artifacts that can be fished from Stonefield and Gloamwood water.
- Common Fish of Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach. Again, 4 common quality artifacts needed to complete this set. No special rewards for completing this set, just an extra artifact set added to your colection.
- Common Fish of Moonshade Highlands, Droughtlands, and Iron Pine Peak. For this artifact set 6 common artifacts are needed. The trophies needed for this set can be easily fished from Moonshade, Droughtlands and Iron Pine.
- Common Fish of Shimmersand, Stillmoor, and Ember Isle. This is one of the easiest sets to complete. You need 6 white quality trophy fish from Shimmersand, Stillmoor and Ember Isle. They are easy to catch and if you are unlucky, there are always available cheap on the Auction House.
Other Fishing Artifact Sets
Except the for the 24 trophy fish artifact sets there are another 18 sets that can be “fished”. These are just normal artifacts, but they can only be obtained by fishing. Out of these 18 sets, 15 of them are needed for the Fishing for Artifacts achievement.
- Already-used Treasure Map. This artifact set can be fished from Silverwood and/or Freemarch. It’s made out of 6 common artifacts, 1 uncommon artifact and 1 rare artifact. Some of the common artifacts are harder to get then the rare ones.
- Aqua Flora. To complete this artifact set you need 6 common artifacts, a uncommon one and a rare one. These artifacts can be fished in Freemarch and/or Silverwood, in deep and shallow water.
- Discarded Bottles, Vials, and Flasks. This is another low level artifact set, made out of 6 common, 1 uncommon and 1 rare artifact. The artifacts can be fished from Silverwood and Freemarch. This artifact set might be one of the most hard to get set.
- Discarded Weapons. For this set you will need to fish 6 common artifacts, 1 rare artifact and 1 uncommon artifact from the deep and shallow waters of Gloamwood and Stonefield.
- Driftwood. The Driftwood artifact set is also made out of 6 white artifacts, 1 green and 1 blue artifact and can be fished in Gloamwood or Stonefield.
- Fish Scales. Another artifact set that can be fished from Gloamwood and Stonefield is the Fish Scales set. Same as the previous sets, it is made out of 8 artifacts. I think this is one of the easiest sets to get.
- Discarded Armor Pieces. This set has the same composition as all the previous sets. The artifacts needed to complete it can be fished from Scarwood Reach and Scarlet Gorge. Not a very difficult set to get.
- Keys to Nothing. This set is another set specific to Scarwood and Scarlet Gorge and it shouldn’t take to long to get. All you need to catch are 6 white artifacts, 1 green artifact and 1 blue artifact.
- Shinny Pebbles. Yet another artifact set from Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach, but this set might take some time to get. The artifacts needed to complete it are quite rare.
- Dormant Runeshards. This set can be fished from Iron Pine Peak, Moonshade Highlands and Droughtlands. It should be fairly easy to complete, the artifacts that make this set are not to rare.
- Exotic Aqua Flora. For this set you will need to catch 6 common artifacts, 1 uncommon artifact and 1 rare artifact from the waters of Moonshade Highlands, Iron Pine Peak or Droughtlands.
- Rings That Were Once Lost. Same as the previous 2 sets, this set can be completed by obtaining artifacts from Moonshade, Droughtlands or Iron Pine Peak.
- Empty Treasure Chests. This is the first set needed for the Fishing for Artifacts achievement that can be completed by fishing in Shimmersand, Stillmoor or Ember Isle.
- Moldy Tomes. For this set you need 6 white artifacts, 1 green artifact and 1 blue artifact. These artifacts can be fished from the waters of Shimmersand, Stillmoor and Ember Isle.
- Mysterious Crystals. The last set required for the Fishing for Artifacts achievement, this is one of the easiest sets to complete.
The remaining 3 sets are made out of artifacts from the sets previously mentioned. There are no special rewards from completing these sets, but it’s something fun to do when you are bored of everything else.
- One Man’s Junk. This set is made out of 7 common artifacts and 1 rare artifact. These are artifacts that can be fished throughout the zones for Telara and not from a specific area.
- Natural Aquatic Treasures. For this set you will need 6 white artifacts, 2 green ones and 1 blue artifact. Again, these artifacts are from all the areas of Telara.
- Vestments of the Necromancer. And for the last set of the fishing artifacts you will need 5 common artifacts, 2 green artifacts and 1 blue artifact and you will be done collecting the fishing artifacts sets.